Wilson Gunn is a leading firm of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys with offices in Manchester, Birmingham, Chesterfield, Liverpool, London and Dublin. Our highly experienced team provide strategic advice across all aspects of intellectual property, including patents, trade marks, designs and copyright.
Essentially – we help businesses to protect their brands, ideas and inventions in the UK and around the world.
From innovative start-ups and SMEs to major multinational corporations, we have experience working across all sectors. Our impressive client list, combined with our commercially-focused advice and user-friendly style, ensures we are consistently recognised by the major legal directories.
Based in Manchester city centre, we have a firm commitment to training through hands-on experience and strong working relationships. We seek trainee patent attorneys with a scientific background and trade mark trainees with a legal background.
We are seeking two graduate or post-graduate trainees for our head office in Manchester, to work towards the qualifications of Chartered Patent Attorney and European Patent Attorney.
Patent attorneys require a scientific/engineering background to be able to understand and protect ideas and inventions across a wide range of industries
We are particularly interested in candidates with (or predicted to get) at least a 2:1 honours degree in Physics, Engineering (ideally Electrical Engineering) or a related discipline.
The candidate we are looking for will also:
- Have excellent communication skills, particularly in writing
- Be highly organised and have very good attention to detail
- Have strong analytical skills and the confidence to defend the reasoning behind his/her opinion
- Be motivated and ready to put in the effort required to obtain the challenging professional qualifications – which usually takes around 5 years
In return, we are offering:
- A fascinating and rewarding career
- A competitive salary (plus bonus and pension)
- 25 days holiday plus statutory holidays
- Full training, involving day to day mentoring and structured in-house training supplemented by external courses and tutorials
- Examination support and study leave
- Regular social events
In addition to patents, you will also have the opportunity to become involved in other aspects of intellectual property, such as trade marks, designs and copyright.Apply now for this role